This week, the National Basketball Association (NBA) announced the launch of its own non-fungible token (NFT) initiative dubbed “NBAxNFT.” According to the professional basketball league, the goal is “to showcase all things that basketball and Web3 overlap, including NFTs, games, and the Metaverse.”
Professional basketball and Web3 collide
- Following the popular collection NBA Top Shot and the upcoming Golden State Warriors 2022 Playoff Responsive NFT Collection, the NBA has begun NBAxNFTwhich currently consists of a Twitter account and a Discord channel.
- NBAxNFT is billed as the “Official Web3 Home of the NBA” and the project aims to combine everything basketball related with NFTs, Gaming, Metaverse and Web3 ideas.
- “Thanks to everyone who followed,” said the initiative’s official Twitter account explained. “If you’re new here, we’re excited to use this space to share all things NBA basketball and Web3. We look forward to working with our community and partners like NBA Top Shot.”
- In terms of all-time NFT collection sales, Dapper Labs’ NBA Top Shot NFT Collection ranks ninth in terms of all-time sales volume. To date, NBA Top Shot has totaled 16,006,548 sales, totaling $885.6 million since the NFT’s inception.
- The recently launched Discord channel has more than 35,000 members at the time of writing and according to the NBA, the 2022 playoff NFTs will be released this weekend.
- “We showcase everything that overlaps basketball and Web3, including NFTs, games and the Metaverse,” according to the NBAxNFT Twitter account detailed when it first launched the Web3 initiative.
- Four days ago, the NBA’s Golden State Warriors announced the launch of a 2022 playoff-responsive NFT collection.
- As of press time, the NBA hasn’t announced whether or not Dapper Labs or the Flow blockchain will be involved, although the company was mentioned in a tweet about partners. Discussions emerging from the NBA Discord channel hint at the upcoming NFT drop to be issued on Ethereum.
What do you think of the NBA creating a space for Web3, NFT and Metaverse content? Let us know what you think about this topic in the comment section below.
photo credit: Shutterstock, Pixabay, WikiCommons
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer, or a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any product, service, or company. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.